Friday, May 23, 2008

New, long post about the new school year coming soon. Until then, here's a short story.

So I was heading to the bathroom at my base school the other day, and as I was switching into the bathroom slippers, some 2nd year boys were coming towards me. I said hello, they said hello back, and I went into the bathroom. I fully expected the boys to keep on walking and go to their class, as they usually do after I say hello. These boys, though, apparently had a bee in their bonnet about something. I could hear them giggling and whispering in English outside of the bathroom. They waited there while I went to the bathroom, washed my hands, and came out and changed back into my indoor shoes. Then they all asked me together (ever heard 6 boys ask a question in a foreign language in unison?), "What did you do last night?" And no, they weren't being stalkerish and weird (although 2 of these boys were part of the group I labeled as "My Three Stalkers" last year); this was the new target sentence that they had just learned. Apparently, one of the teachers had mentioned to the students that I like to watch Japanese comedies and dramas, and the boys had discovered that I liked some of the same shows they did. So they wanted to see whether I watched the show or not. This may not seem like a big thing, but the sad truth is that most students won't even say hello to me, so the fact that they asked me a question and waited for the answer, and then even replied to the answer, was really nice. It almost makes up for all the times they run away from me during interview games in class.

No comments: